SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — The number of reported influenza-related deaths in the San Diego region this flu season has reached 142 — a record high, county health officials reported Wednesday.In comparison, there were 14 deaths in San Diego County at the same time last year.It’s the most deadly flu season since the county began collecting records two decades ago, health officials said. The previous deadliest flu season was in 2014-2015, when 97 people died.Though deaths have continued to rise in January, health officials say a drop in the overall number of cases for two consecutive weeks could be a sign of a peak.There were 2,070 lab-confirmed cases in the county last week, down from 3,046 the week before.“Unfortunately, after a high number of flu cases is reported, deaths typically follow,” said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county’s public health officer.“We continue to monitor flu activity in the region to see if cases and emergency room activity will continue to drop and determine whether the season has peaked.”Wooten said the record number of deaths could be due to the use of an electronic reporting system, which makes it easier for medical professionals to report and identify flu-related deaths.Public health officials say it’s not too late to get vaccinated.“The flu vaccine is the best public health tool we have, and an annual flu shot is recommended to everyone over six months,” Wooten said.“The vaccine helps your body develop protection in two weeks and can lessen severity if one gets the flu. The vaccine is matched with all four circulating strains.”In addition to getting vaccinated, health experts say people should wash their hand thoroughly and often, use hand sanitizer, stay away from sick people, avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth, and avoid contact with others in the event they fall ill.Vaccines are available at doctors’ offices and retail pharmacies.Those without insurance can go to a county public health center to get vaccinated. For a list of locations, visit www.sdiz.org or call 2-1-1. January 17, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Flu, Flu season FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom Updated: 3:21 PM KUSI Newsroom, Posted: January 17, 2018 Number of flu-related deaths in San Diego rises to record high 142
The National Security Agency has recommended the White House abandon a controversial program that collects and analyzes data on millions of Americans’ domestic calls and texts, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.The recommendation against renewing the program represents a dramatic reversal from the longstanding position of the agency, which had argued that the program was vital to identifying and disrupting terrorist activities. The program, which was put in place after the 2001 terrorist attacks, has legal and logistical burdens that outweigh its value to national security, sources told the Journal.The reported recommendation comes a little more than a month after a national security advisor revealed that the NSA hasn’t used the system in months. Luke Murray, an advisor for Republican House minority leader Kevin McCarty of California, also said at the time the White House might not seek to renew its legal authority to operate the program.The NSA had been collecting large amounts of metadata, the digital information that accompanies electronic communications, under a controversial national security policy put in place by the Patriot Act in 2001. That information included what phone numbers were on the call, when the call was placed and how long it lasted, which was then saved in a database.The already heated debate over the Patriot Act programs intensified in 2013 when former NSA contractor Edward Snowden leaked documents detailing the ways in which the secretive US government agency was collecting data. A new system put in place by Congress in 2015 required federal agencies to seek a court order on a case-by-case basis to obtain call data from telephone companies.The USA Freedom Act of 2015, legislation designed to curtail the federal government’s sweeping surveillance of millions of Americans’ phone records, is set to expire at the end of year, if the Trump administration doesn’t ask Congress to renew its authority to continue the program.The NSA and White House didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. 6 Now playing: Watch this: 4:25 NSA Security Tech Industry Share your voice Comments Yes, Facebook is still tracking you (The 3:59, Ep. 541) Tags
2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Preview • Volkswagen I.D. Buzz: Driving this concept gets us smiling Volkswagen 3:28 The record-breaking Volkswagen I.D. R electric car It was all but a given that VW and driver Romain Dumas would pick up this record. Previously, the ID R picked up the overall record at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, and it also earned the EV record at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, a crown it intends to fight for again this year when the hillclimb kicks off on July 4.The ID R is a beast of a race car. Built as part of an effort to expand awareness of VW’s fledgling ID electric sub-brand, this record breaker has two electric motors putting out 670 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque. It weighs less than 2,425 pounds, as well, which results in the bonkers acceleration seen in the video. And, judging by how well it’s doing at various tracks and events, it’s unlikely that this will be the last we see of it. Now playing: Watch this: More about 2022 Volkswagen I.D. Buzz VW’s adorable I.D. Buzz charms us on the California coast 18 Photos 1 Share your voice 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Enlarge ImageRomain Dumas was a natural choice for the run, having loads of experience with both the ID R and the ‘Ring itself. Volkswagen A little over a week ago, Volkswagen’s record-breaking ID R electric race car captured the EV lap record at the Nürburgring Nordschleife with an astounding lap of 6 minutes, 5 seconds. If you haven’t watched the in-car footage yet, here’s your chance.Volkswagen, not one to miss an opportunity, has posted its onboard footage from the ID R’s record-setting run on June 3. It’s absolutely wild, with its two electric motors screaming in high pitches while the tires do everything they can to maintain grip. It’s incredible just how quickly the trees and barriers fly past the ID R. It’s like the video is permanently set to fast-forward. Benny Hill would be proud. Tags Comment More From Roadshow Electric Cars Car Culture 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better
Its a clever punch line, where is the offence in it? No need to paint religion and start a border war on twitter. ( also why is every paki response “get toilets first”? Is that the only thing you have more of than India?)— Kasturi Shankar (@KasthuriShankar) July 22, 2019The tweet has created controversy on social media platforms as many people are taking it as fun while others have condemned it. On the other hand, Indian skipper Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Cheteshwar Pujara were among the many who congratulated ISRO for successfully carrying out the launch of Chandrayan 2. Virat Kohli stated that it is another proud moment for the nation. Another historic and proud moment for the nation as the #Chandrayaan 2 is launched Jai Hind #ISRO #IndiaMoonMission — Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) July 22, 2019Cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Cheteshwar Pujara congratulated team ISRO and wished them for successful missions in the future.I congratulate Team @isro on achieving yet another milestone with the launch of #Chandrayaan2!Hope this paves the way for many more ambitious and successful missions in the future. Jai Hind ! pic.twitter.com/io919I1YrS— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) July 22, 2019 Harbhajan Singh was a key member of India’s 2011 World Cup-winning squad. Matthew Lewis/Getty ImagesFormer Indian cricketer and off-spinner Harbhajan Singh took to Twitter to troll Pakistan and some other countries who have the moon on their national flags after India’s second lunar mission Chandrayaan-2 took off successfully from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota on Monday, July 22.In the tweet, Harbhajan stated that some countries have the moon on their flags while some have their flags on the moon. The tweet also had the images of national flags with moon on it with Pakistani flag’s picture being the first. Some countries have moon on their flagsWhile some countries having their flags on moon #Chandrayaan2theMoon— Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) July 22, 2019The first line of the tweet had images of flags of countries including Pakistan, Algeria, Turkey, Maldives, Mauritania, Tunisia, Libya, Malaysia and Azerbaijan. The second line had flags of the countries who have conducted the moon missions successfully including US, India, China and Russia.Shame on you @harbhajan_singh . Your Tweet is in bad taste and shows Indians in a bad light. You are not a True Sportsman. You are a Communal Person I hope @bcci takes action against You for your Communal Tweet and stops yours Pension . Shame on You. — Ashish Joshi (@acjoshi) July 22, 2019 Many congratulations to Team #Chandrayaan2 @isro for the successful and seamless launch ! pic.twitter.com/LINKS5ZHUk — Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) July 22, 2019 Congratulations team @ISRO, this is a very proud and historical moment for India! #Chandrayaan2— cheteshwar pujara (@cheteshwar1) July 22, 2019
X – / 3One of the big workforce issues after a hurricane is purely practical, and that’s having places for recovery workers to live so they won’t have to drive in from long distances.Port Isabel City Manager Jared Hockema was one of the officials testifying before the House Business and Industry Committee at a hearing held on South Padre Island. “We already don’t have housing for our existing workforce right now,” said Hockema. “And so if you look at the people working in these hotels and restaurants, they don’t live here because we do not have adequate affordable housing.”Hockema said one thing the state can do is give counties more authority to establish building and floodplain regulations. That could lead to more storm-resistant housing.“Those tools are what allow you to establish a resilient, robust housing stock that can withstand a hurricane,” explained Hockema. “So you don’t lose such a large percentage of your housing and you have that housing available for your workforce.”Also testifying was South Padre Island City Manager Susan Guthrie, who said affordable housing is also an issue in her community. Guthrie said most of their city workers don’t even live on the island and commute from nearby communities.“Getting workforce, just the general workforce here post-storm, much less the relief workers, is really a challenge,” added Guthrie. “And especially when you’re talking about one way on, one way off this island.”The committee will hold another hearing Thursday in Brownsville. Share 00:00 /00:47 Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:
The theme of the third edition of this annual festival is Jodti Zubanein, Judti Zubanein, and will deliberate on connections between languages and the connections languages make. ‘This year’s theme goes beyond the literary and cultural connections across languages and encompasses the connections between divergent media of expression, like literature, cinema, music, between various ideologies and between languages and dialects,’ said Satyanand Nirupam, festival’s creative director. Acclaimed personalities from diverse fields like Gulzar, Jerry Pinto, Ketan Mehta, and Mahesh Bhatt will be holding discussions on various subjects about literature, Bollywood, music and literature.They will cover issues ranging from Dalit and women writing, alternative voices from literature, cinema, radio, publishing, gender violence, aspirations, dreams and voices of the marginalised.Sessions titled Language into Language, Civil Society and its Activism among other will also take place.
Kolkata: The bodies of mountaineers Kuntal Karar and Biplab Baidya reached the city airport on Saturday night.The duo, who had embarked on expedition to Kanchenjanga, had died a few days back due to their deteriorating health condition. The coffins of the two mountaineers reached the city on Saturday night and then the bodies were taken to Peace Haven. Kuntal’s body was taken to Howrah Mountaineering Club on Sunday morning where state Co-Operation minister Arup Roy, who is also an MLA from Howrah Madhya, paid tribute to him along with a sea of people who assembled to offer their condolence. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataHis body was taken to his residence at Kona area. The last rites was performed at the Banstala crematorium in Howrah. Minister of state for Sports and Youth Affairs Laxmi Ratan Shukla, who was supervising the last rites of Kuntal since his arrival in the city airport said: “It is extremely sad. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has instructed me to go to the airport to receive the bodies. We have guidelines for mountaineers and we also conduct thorough health check of those people who go on mountain expedition.” Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateThe body of mountaineer Biplab Baidya was also taken to his residence in Sonarpur on Sunday morning. The local people and neighbours turned up in huge number to bid adieu to him. It may be mentioned that Ramesh Ray and Rudraprasad Halder – who were on Kanchenjanga expedition along with Kuntal and Biplab had also fallen sick during the Kanchenjanga expedition. They were treated at Kathmandu Hospital and they had reached the city a few days back. Another mountaineer from the state Dipankar Ghosh’s body was airlifted on Saturday and has been brought to Kathmandu. Ghosh had died during his expedition to Mount Makalu in Nepal. His body is expected to reach the state by Tuesday. He had successfully scaled the fifth highest peak in the world but while descending to the base camp went missing and later died.