WACO, TX – OCTOBER 17: A general view as the Baylor Bears take on the West Virginia Mountaineers in the first quarter at McLane Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Waco, Texas. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)Baylor’s 400-pound tight end LaQuan McGowan created quite a stir when he caught a touchdown in the team’s bowl game against Michigan State last season. He worked at tight end and H-back this spring, and judging by his first pitch effort at last night’s Texas Rangers’ game, he may want to see if Art Briles will let him throw a pass this fall.Mound presence? Baylor’s 400-pound TE LaQuan McGowan throws out the Rangers first pich Friday (via @nick_pants) https://t.co/GsijMk4ize— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 13, 2015Not the cleanest mechanics but not a bad toss from the big man. If he ever actually pitched in a game, he could throw inside with impunity, since it’s doubtful anyone would want to charge the mound against him.
OTTAWA – Defence officials and fighter-jet makers have circled a date in late September as the make-or-break moment for the Liberal government’s plan to buy interim Super Hornets fighter jets from U.S. firm Boeing.The purchase has been largely in limbo since the Liberals threatened to cancel the planned purchase in May because of Boeing’s trade dispute with Canadian aerospace company Bombardier.Industry sources say there has been no contact between Boeing and the government for several months, and most now believe any purchase will be contingent on what happens on Sept. 25.That is when the U.S. Commerce Department will present the findings of its investigation into whether Bombardier sold its CSeries passenger jets at an unfairly low price with help from federal subsidies.A guilty finding could result in fines or tariffs being imposed on Bombardier, but could also prompt the Liberal government, which has criticized the investigation, to pull the plug on any deal with Boeing.Some of Boeing’s rivals are already positioning themselves to pounce if the government does back away from buying Super Hornets, and begins looking for other options.The president of defence giant Lockheed Martin, Marillyn Hewson, recently wrote to several Liberal cabinet ministers promising a good price and quick delivery of its F-35 stealth fighters.“We respectfully request the government of Canada consider the F-35 aircraft … that it can acquire for the same price and within the same schedule as (a Super Hornet),” Hewson wrote.Several other fighter-jet makers have made similar pitches in recent months.While the government has so far refused to offer any formal response to Boeing’s rivals, it has also left the door wide open should it decide to head in a different direction.“We continue to explore many options to provide an interim solution to supplement the CF-18s,” said Mary-Rose Brown, a spokeswoman for Jim Carr, the acting public procurement minister.“We have not yet made a decision. Discussions must demonstrate that the interim fleet is appropriately capable and can be obtained at a cost, schedule, and economic value that are acceptable to Canadians.”Work on a potential purchase of interim Super Hornets hasn’t ground to a complete halt, despite the lack of contact between Boeing and the government.Any sale of Super Hornets would actually go through the U.S. government, which has been collecting information from Boeing about how much the planes would cost and when they could be delivered.But while American officials were expected to provide that information to their Canadian counterparts by the end of next week, sources say that has been delayed until late September or early October.Neither Brown nor a U.S. State Department spokeswoman would not comment on the delay Friday.The Trudeau government announced in November its plan to purchase the planes to temporarily fill a critical shortage of fighter jets until a full competition to replace Canada’s aging CF-18s.The government said at the time that the Super Hornet was the only aircraft able to meet its immediate requirements, including being a mature design compatible with U.S. fighters.Many defence experts, including 13 retired air force commanders, have criticized the Liberals’ plan to purchase interim Super Hornets and called for an immediate competition to replace the CF-18s.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – City of Fort St. John Staff presented Council with options to develop the Toboggan Hill Park for the upcoming 2020 Winter Games.Staff asked Council if there would be interest in a temporary or permanent structure to support a working snow hill feature used in competitions for Freestyle and Snowboarding at the Winter Games.Freestyle is the discipline of skiing over moguls and doing aerials while Snowboarding is a newly added event to the Winter Games with the 1/2 pipe and slopestyle events. Council stated; Since the creation of a snow park at Toboggan Hill Park was not part of Councils strategic plan and has not been included in the 2019 or future capital budgets, the request for consideration was declined.In 2017, community volunteers built a temporary snowboard park on Toboggan Hill.
Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize, existing since 2018, has been founded as a platform for World Peace, Literature, Art, Education and Human Rights. It has two-fold purpose: as honourable legacy to Rabindranath Tagore Literature Prize for the finest in Indian literature, and to recognise positive and lasting impact on society and its change with ‘Social Achievement Prize’.Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2019 winner will be announced at an award ceremony to be held on April 23, at India International Centre. The winner is entitled to $10 000. By their unvarying support for literature and children rights, the organisers have started initial 10,000 book donation to schools of their first winner ‘One Hundred Poems of Kabir’. Tagore Prize is one of the most anticipated literary award presentations, where they will accommodate 300 high profile attendees, authors, intellectuals, diplomats, ambassadors, executive directors and representatives of major publishing houses. Eminent people including Ayushman Jamwal, Master of Ceremony, a Senior Output Editor at CNN-News18, a columnist and a poet; Peter Bundaldo, Founder of Tagore Prize; Bidhan Chandra Singh, Executive Director at Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation; and others will be present at the event. The shortlist for Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2019 consist names like Amit Chaudhuri for ‘The Immortals’, Rana Dasgupta for ‘Solo’, K Madavane for ‘To Die in Benares’, Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi for ‘The Lost Flamingoes of Bombay’, Jeet Thayil for ‘The Book of Chocolate Saints’ and others. Tagore Prize 2019 – Social Achievement Prize will be awarded to Yohei Sasakawa, a Japanese philanthropist, for his remarkable work in leprosy elimination.Furthermore, Tagore Prize will announce building and launching of its first Satellite in Space – first literary prize in space.
Colombo: Churches in Sri Lanka remained shut on Sunday, a week since the April 21 Easter Sunday bombings that killed 253 people. Archbishop of Colombo Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith held a televised mass on Sunday, attended by President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, the BBC reported. He called the attacks “an insult to humanity” in the service, broadcast from a chapel in his residence. “Today during this mass we are paying attention to last Sunday’s tragedy and we try to understand it,” Cardinal Ranjith said. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework “We pray that in this country there will be peace and co-existence and understanding each other without division.” While Sri Lanka’s churches were empty, people gathered for a public service outside St Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo – the site of one of the deadliest bombings. There, Buddhist monks joined Catholic priests for prayers in a show of solidarity with the Christian community. The church’s bells tolled at 8.45 a.m., the exact moment a bomber detonated his device one week ago. The hands of its damaged clock tower are still stuck at that time. Besides St Anthony’s Shrine, bombers struck churches in Negombo and the eastern city of Batticaloa, and hotels in Colombo. The Easter Sunday bombings which also injured over 500 people was the bloodiest attack in the island after the civil was ended in 2009.
El Jaddida – Take a look at your computer’s webcam; do you think it is off because the cam’s light indicator is not turned on? Unfortunately, that’s not the case!Lots of people use the internet for different purposes; browsing websites, playing video games, listening to music, watching their favorite programs or chatting with their friends…etc. Whatever is the reason why they use the internet for, they are not safe from being spied on through their webcams.The internet is full of websites and social media groups advertising pictures and videos of naked women from different parts of the world, some of them have been recorded while they were actually broadcasting their webcams; whereas others were mere victims recorded while they were working on something on their computers or feeling relaxed at home while their computers lied on their desks unknowing that they were being recorded. A case in point over the news is Cassidy Wolf, Miss Teen USA, a victim of webcam spying by one of her classmates Jared Abrahams, who later admitted taking several pictures and videos of different women without their knowing. He used a software that turns on the in-built laptop’s webcam without triggering the cam’s LED, thus the victim would have no way of knowing that the webcam is broadcasting.If the story got you suspicious, you’ve got two ways of precaution; one is to disable your webcam when not in use. To do so, go to your device manager section, under the list of Imaging Devices right click on the name of your webcam and choose disable. However, if you are a frequent webcam user, just find a piece of duck tape and put it on your webcam when not in use.In short, one never predicts what is to happen. “Prevention is better than cure.”© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed
Casablanca – Usher is in Marrakech! Could the red city get any more international? After all the celebs from Europe, Africa, Asia and South America who have opted for the Southern Pearl as their ideal place for New Year celebration, it is now a representative of the North American continent, Usher, who succumbs to the magic of the Southern Pearl. According to Le360, American superstar Usher turned up at Marrakech’s glamorous VIP Room for barely 4 minutes before a wave of cheerful, screaming fans had him go back to his car and leave the club.According to the same source, Usher was invited to one of Marrakech’s glamorous parties, which he seemingly failed to fully enjoy, as a deluge of fans made it impossible for him to stay beyond the 4 minutes he barely spent there. Usher was not pleased by the way he was approached by some of his fans, who allegedly “jumped on him,” like one would leap on the last piece of cake on the table.A superstar by all measures, with millions of fans in all corners of the world, Usher is unquestionably one of the towering icons of the American Pop Music industry. His albums sold in millions worldwide, making of him another Pop Culture “legend” that has inspired many talented artists now.Usher thus joins the list of the red city fans, which already features ex-French-President Nicolas Sarkozy, star athletes Christiano Ronaldo, Messi, Benzema and Badr Hari, as well as many other celebs.With all of these international names and many more, you are less to be surprised if you happen randomly to come across a world celebrity while walking down one of Marrakech’s streets.
Olivier Giroud and Hugo Lloris have been playing together this week for the France national team but the striker will try to score against the keeper in the upcoming game between Chelsea and Tottenham.The Frenchman is still waiting for his first league goal for the Blues since he arrived from Arsenal back in winter – and he hopes that he will break the deadlock in the upcoming derby match against the Spurs.The former Montpellier player spoke about his goal for the upcoming game as he said, according to Daily Mail:Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“I have been trying very hard to do my best for the team at Chelsea, and I feel I have been a bit unlucky in the past few weeks not to have scored already.”“Hopefully I will score my first one against Tottenham and Hugo, and that will help us win a very, very important game.”“The Spurs game is massive and though Hugo is my colleague for France I would give him a smile if I scored in that one as we really need to win it.”
Howie Kent with the Division of Forestry says the Kenai Peninsula still has a lot of dry fire fuels, which have become more flammable due to recent warmer temperatures.: “We’re expecting a little bit of breezy conditions along the coastal areas, like Kenai, Soldotna, Homer, that kind of area. For the weekend we are expected to get warmer and dryer, which will lead to higher temperatures, and lower relative humidity which equal the possibility for more fires.” Kent: “As people get out and they want to do some camping, and want to have a campfire remember to keep your campfire small in case the winds pick up unexpectedly try and keep your fire under control.” In southcentral Alaska, recent warm days and temperatures on the forecast will dry the surface fuels and deeper layers of forested lands leaving them very susceptible to fire starts. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享As residents and visitors on the Kenai Peninsula prepare to head outside to soak up this warm weather, the state’s wildland fire officials would like to remind the public to be extremely cautious with any activity that could ignite a wildfire. The Swan Lake Fire still burns in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. The fire has not increased in acreage since July 22, however smoke may be visible in the area as the fire is still smoldering in the deep duff layers on the forest floor.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Congress so far has successfully ignored the Obama administration’s requests to hold a new BRAC round, but as Pentagon budget cuts mount, pressure continues to build for lawmakers to approve additional base closures. While the exact timing of a new round remains uncertain, most Washington experts consider a BRAC round inevitable.Next month’s National Summit will feature a pre-conference workshop covering the mechanics of the BRAC process along with insight about past rounds from the executive director of the most recent BRAC commission and DOD’s former installations chief.The session will be moderated by George Schlossberg, ADC’s long-time general counsel, a partner at Kutak Rock LLP and BRAC expert. For community members that are new to BRAC — or those that want a refresher — Schlossberg will discuss how the federal government came up with the idea of relying on an independent commission to close military installations and how Congress settled on the BRAC process used most recently in 2005.The panel will walk attendees through the initial steps in a BRAC round — the preparation of a force structure plan, inventory of installations and evaluation criteria. Next, it will delve into the process followed by the Pentagon to develop its list of recommended closures and realignments, including the data calls sent to each installation, and the use of the COBRA model to calculate the costs and benefits of individual closures. The panel also will discuss how the BRAC commission operates, including the scheduling of public hearings, and the voting process for revising the department’s closure recommendations and approving final recommendations.Schlossberg will be joined at the workshop by Charles Battaglia, who served as executive director of the 2005 BRAC Commission, and Dorothy Robyn, who served as deputy undersecretary of defense for installations and environment in the first half of the Obama administration. Battaglia and Robyn will help provide workshop attendees with an insider’s view of the BRAC process from the perspective of DOD and the BRAC commission.In a conversation with View from the Summit, Schlossberg acknowledged the next base closure round likely could include some changes in its mechanics, but emphasized that its core elements — primarily, its reliance on an independent, bipartisan commission to review DOD’s recommendations in a public forum with community input — almost certainly would remain in place.For those looking for a comprehensive introduction to the BRAC process, don’t miss the Summit’s BRAC 101 pre-conference workshop! A great introduction to the workshop is the Journal of Defense Communities article about the legislative history of BRAC.