Badminton stars coming for international tourney

first_imgDetermined to be a force to be reckoned with globally in the sport of badminton, Jamaica will stage the second annual International Badminton Tournament this month. The tournament will feature a stellar cast of internationally ranked players who will lock horns with Jamaica’s best for Rio 2016 Olympics qualifying points and US$6,000 in prize money. Action will take place at the National Indoor Sports Centre from March 17-20. Competition will take place in men’s and women’s singles, men’s and women’s doubles, and mixed doubles competition. Martin Giuffre of Canada, the reigning men’s singles champion, will be back to defend his crown. He is ranked 74th in the world. Also 60th-ranked Osleni Guerro of Cuba is expected to feature, as well as 66th- ranked Howard Shu of the United States. In the women’s singles competition, last year’s runner-up, Zuzana Pavelkova of the Czech Republic is slated to feature; as well as 58th-ranked Jeannine Cicognini of Italy and 75th, Telma Santos of Portugal. TOP NAMES The local hopefuls are led by many-time champions Gareth Henry and his sister, Geordine Henry. Mikaylia Haldane, Garron Palmer, Sean Wilson, Samuel Ricketts, and Katherine Wynter are other top Jamaican names. Jamaica Badminton Association president David Thomas has outlined that the local players will relish the opportunity and may even spring surprises as they look to improve their level of play and competitiveness. Speaking at yesterday’s launch at the Jamaica Olympic Association on Cunningham Avenue, general manager of the Sports Development Foundation Denzil Wilks praised the event’s organisers and sponsors and implored Jamaicans to support a world-class event. “When you approach the Independence Park facilities in the latter part of next week and you see flags and feather banners on the western side of the facility, please recognise that Champs is not the only activity taking place. Let us join them as our little but tallawah country stages two huge championships simultaneously,” Wilks said.last_img read more

Tunisia first Cup of Nations top seeds not to win

first_imgTunisia led when Msakni blasted a penalty into the net on 34 minutes only for Campos to punish a blunder by goalkeeper Farouk Ben Mustapha in the 73rd minute.It was the second time Angola and Tunisia met at the biennial African football showpiece and the second time they drew after a goalless deadlock in Ghana 11 years ago. The stalemate offered former runners-up Mali or newcomers Mauritania a chance to lead Group E later Monday by winning the second match in a double-header at the Suez Army Stadium.“Drawing was not satisfactory for us — we wanted to win our first match,” said substitute Ferjani Sassi, who won a lengthy fitness battle to be ready for the tournament.“We were winning and had chances to add more goals, but did not take them. Tunisia were better than Angola but because of poor defending we conceded an equaliser.”Tunisia led at half-time after a cagey first half at the 27,000-capacity venue, one of six being used for the competition.Naim Sliti was floored inside the box by Salomao Paizo and the Ethiopian referee pointed to the spot before yellow-carding goalkeeper Tony Cabaca for dissent.Msakni took a perfect penalty, striking the ball with power and accuracy over the Angolan shot-stopper. The goal gave a small but enthusiastic crowd something to cheer after a pedestrian opening half in which the teams had only one goal attempt each on target.Geraldo, a surprise absentee from the Angolan starting line-up, was introduced by Serbian coach Srdjan Vasiljevic for the second half in place of Stelvio da Cruz.Campos grabbed a crucial equaliser for Angola © AFP / FADEL SENNAA second substitution made during half-time saw Gelson Dala, who scored three of the nine goals that took Angola to the finals, replacing Wilson Eduardo.Tunisia coach and former France star Alain Giresse waited until midway through the second half to make his initial change, sending on Sassi for Ghaylen Chaalali.Angola levelled thanks to a blunder from Tunisia goalkeeper Ben Mustapha, who spilled a weak Mateus da Costa shot and Campos tapped in the rebound.Wahbi Khazri came close to putting the north Africans ahead again with seven minutes remaining as his shot eluded Cabaca but trickled just wide of the far post.Msakni was the next Tunisian to try and snatch a late winning goal, unleashing a low shot from just outside the box that Cabaca held at the second attempt.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Midfielder Youssef Msakni had given Tunisia the lead © AFP / FADEL SENNASuez, Egypt, Jun 24 – Tunisia became the first 2019 Africa Cup of Nations top seeds not to win their opening match when Djalma Campos cancelled out a Youssef Msakni goal and earned Angola a 1-1 Group E draw on Monday.Hosts Egypt, Nigeria, Morocco and Senegal won their first matches of the 24-team tournament and the other top seeds, Cameroon, debut Tuesday against Guinea-Bissau.last_img read more