SuperFly 3: All-Filipino fight between Nietes, Palicte ends in split draw

first_imgNadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal LATEST STORIES Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plumcenter_img The much younger Palicte tried to use his height to his advantage but had futile success with Nietes able to make his way inside.With a steely chin, Palicte managed to stay on his feet despite taking a handful of solid punches from Nietes throughout the fight.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Despite delivering a methodical performance, Nietes will have to wait before getting another crack at becoming a four-division world champion.Only one judge saw the fight how it unfolded, scoring it 118-110 for Nietes. The other two, however, scored it, 116-112 for Palicte and 114-114. The fight was the co-main event of SuperFly 3.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’It’s highly-likely that Nietes (41-1-5, 23 KOs), the longest reigning Filipino world champion, and Palicte will meet again in a rematch.It was Nietes’ first fight in the 115-pound division. He hasn’t lost since 2004. Photo taken from HBO Boxing’s (@HBOboxing) Twitter accountThe world title fight between Filipinos Donnie Nietes and Aston Palicte for the vacant WBO super flyweight crown ended in a controversial draw on Sunday (Manila time) at The Forum in Inglewood, California.Palicte had his moments, but Nietes clearly dominated the bout especially in the latter part.ADVERTISEMENT NU assistant Ildefonso tries to be coach first to sons Dave, Shaun View commentslast_img read more

Nimba Stolen Ebola Rice Case Resurfaces

first_imgNimba County’s stolen Ebola rice case, which was thrown out of court recently over the prosecution’s failure to present evidence, is said to have resurfaced and the suspects are expected back in court today.The case resurfaced after the Nimba Legislative Caucus mounted pressure on the Ministry of Justice to re-file the case for prosecution without delay.  Senator Thomas S. Grupee, Chairman of the Nimba Legislative Caucus, told the Radio Saclepea Morning Show last Tuesday that the Nimba County Attorney had been ordered to gather all evidence on the case for immediate prosecution.He said the act of stealing rice intended for Ebola victims was a very bad thing, and should be considered as “a crime against humanity”.  He demanded that those involved in stealing food intended for the sick or people in quarantine, should not go unpunished.Senator Grupee added that the caucus will not rest until all those involved are brought to justice to serve as a deterrent against such a shameful crime.On 31st October 2014 the Ganta Magisterial Court threw out the stolen Ebola Rice case involving four Nimba Health Workers and a business woman indefinitely, because the prosecution filed in a motion to have the case “Nulleprosequi” due to insufficient evidence.The prosecution, represented by Attorney James Boayou,  said he could not prosecute the case in the absence of the plaintiff, who is the County Health Services Director Ramsey Leesala.Ganta City Solicitor, Attorney Boayou, said “I declared the case Nulleprosequi until the complainer can come and explain the details of the case to me.”But Senator Grupee said they are making sure that the plaintiff, the Health Officer under whose custody the items were stolen, will be present at the court to back the case.Since the case was thrown out of court, nothing has been heard from the Nimba County Health Team from whose warehouse the items were stolen and who did not turn up for the hearing.There has been administrative wrangling between the leadership of Nimba and the county caucus over the handling of funds intended for the fight against Ebola.The tussle led to the subsequent dismissal of Teeko Yorlay from the post of Assistant Superintendent for Development after the case reached the plenary of the parliament where a vote of no confidence was imposed on him and Supt. Fong Zuagele.The County Health Team has come under criticism recently for what was alleged as single handedly managing the budget allotted by the government for the Bahn Health Center.The issue of the single handed management of the budget led the Bahn Health Board, headed by one Joseph Menlor, to resign because of what it claimed as non compliance, undermining and ostracizing.Even though, the County Health Authority said the money had been used to undertake some development projects for the Bahn Health Center, using the funds in the absence of the board with the accountant based in Sanniquellie, still created serious concern and suspicion among the citizens. The stolen Ebola rice case began on 1st October 2014 when the LNP Ganta Detail arrested a vehicle marked TP. 766 with about 200 bags of 25kg rice, 15 five- gallon containers of vegetable oil and 10 bags of beans.  These items were part of the food consignment donated to Nimba by the World Food Program (WFP) for those under quarantine from Ebola.The bags of rice were loaded on a mini truck headed for Saclepea from Sanniquellie when it was arrested by police in Ganta.  It was believed to be without a way bill.However, those accused of involvement in the alleged illegal removal of the rice, namely C. Paul Nyanzee of County Community Health Service, Director Var Bleh, Ware House Manager, Sarah Lawehyee, Kou Yelibor, County Mental Health Officer and  businesswoman Kou Kouh of Saclepea, had all been exonerated by the court and freed to resume their normal activities.They were arrested by the Liberian National Police on charges including criminal facilitation, criminal conspiracy and theft of property and sent to court.In the same development, the Karnplay City Mayor was linked to another stolen Ebola food case involving bulgur wheat distributed by the ADRA in Karnplay.  She denied any link with the crime, but the stolen food items were discovered outside the ware house.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Arsenal transfer boost? Wolfsburg distance themselves from Atletico Madrid star

first_img1 Josuha Guilavogui in action for Saint-Etienne Wolfsburg have played down suggestions they are closing in on France midfielder Josuha Guilavogui, who has emerged as a target for Arsenal in recent days.Guilavogui, who is on the books at Atletico Madrid, is expected to move on from the La Liga champions after barely figuring at all last season.The 23-year-old, who joined Atleti from Saint-Etienne last summer, made only one league appearance and was shipped out on loan to his former club during the January transfer window.Arsenal have identified him as a cut-price alternative to Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin, while Everton were linked with him before they completed a permanent deal for Gareth Barry.Wolfsburg are also in the running as they fear losing Brazil anchorman Luiz Gustavo, with Real Madrid keen on the former Bayern Munich man.However, Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs admits the Bundesliga side are still some distance away from agreeing a deal with Atleti for £12m-rated Guilavogui.He told TMW: “We are still far from reaching an agreement for his transfer.”last_img read more

Sex offender update

first_imgA level III sex offender who committed crimes in Clark County recently registered as homeless with the Cowlitz County Sheriff’s Office. Kevin Glenn Garner, 55, was convicted in 1996, 1997 and 1998 on separate instances of indecent exposure in Clark County, according to the sheriff’s office. In 1990, he was convicted of indecent acts with a child, communicating a threat to kill, indecent exposure and sodomy of a child. Garner, who is not wanted by police, is described as 6 feet tall with brown hair and brown eyes. He is an untreated sex offender and is considered at high risk to offend again, the sheriff’s office said.last_img