Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Recently, I wrote about Hitler using propaganda to accuse the newspapers of publishing “Jewish lies,” and comparing it with Trump’s “fake news.” This month: slogans. Hitler learned about slogans from the Social Democrats (Communists), whom he hated. Repeat something often enough and the masses will believe it. He always pandered to the “masses.” Hitler: “Make Germany great again.” Trump: “Make America great again.” He took the words right out of Hitler’s mouth. However, many of the things Trump is doing, such as taking us out of the Paris Climate Accords, are not making us look great. Instead, we look like a country full of uneducated, uncaring and entitled fools.Anyway, right from the magazine of the Union of Concerned Scientists, here’s another Trump slogan: “Two for one.” Sounds great, doesn’t it? Like getting two loaves of bread for the price of one — but not so. This order of Trump’s requires federal agencies to repeal two regulations for every one they issue.The Environmental Protection Agency wants to issue a regulation preventing toxic mercury from being discharged into public sewer systems. Sounds like a good rule. But what would they have to do, ditch the Clean Air and Clean Water acts (if they haven’t already been ditched)? What sort of government do we have that happily sets out to purposely poison the world by dumping toxins and filth into our water and air?I say, be aware, be sharp, don’t fall for slogans, and conserve fossil fuels and give up methane-causing beef.JAHNN SWANKER-GIBSONJohnstownMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesCuomo calls for clarity on administering vaccineEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Several areas across Tangerang in Banten have been inundated by floodwaters for four days and the levels keep rising.Most of the affected areas were housing complexes, such as the Garden City Residence Periuk, with local authorities estimating that hundreds of families were affected.Aceng, one of the affected residents, said that the floods reached a depth of 2.5 meter by Tuesday. He explained that the water level had kept increasing because of a broken embankment in Kali Ledug. Water from the river had been spilling into the housing complex ever since. “The embankment broke on Monday, causing the water level to rise,” he said on Tuesday, as quoted by kompas.com.On Tuesday, Aceng and his family were still taking shelter in other places. He said he wished the floodwaters would recede soon. The Garden City Residence Periuk housing complex and other areas in Tangerang have been submerged in water since Saturday, when heavy rains poured down on the municipality. The Tangerang administration estimated that at least 300 families were affected.Read also: Tangerang braces for extreme weather after massive floodState-owned electricity firm PLN was forced to shut down seven electrical substations because of the flooding in Tangerang on Sunday. Due to the electricity blackout, residents could not use their water pumps to extract fresh water from the ground, causing them to lack clean water.Tangerang Mayor Arief Wismansyah said he would summon the housing complex’s developer regarding the persisting floods. He said he would ask the developer to take responsibility, since the location for the complex was not actually suitable for construction.“The housing complex is only located a few meters from Kali Ledug,” Arief said. Periuk subdistrict head Sumardi said this was not the first time for the area to be inundated by floodwaters since the Garden City Residence is lower than the river. The Tangerang administration had planned to relocate the residents because of the worsening flooding over the years.“However, residents reject the plan because they own assets at the complex,” Sumardi said. (dpk)Topics :
Similarly, state-owned steelmaker PT Krakatau Steel said in a statement that the mechanism of the government investment stipulated in Government Regulation (PP) No. 23/2020 on the national economic recovery was still being discussed by the authorities.Read also: Government issues regulation on economic recovery program, focuses on SOEs, MSMEs“We hope to get the best mechanism to support the national economic recovery,” president director Silmy Karim said in the statement.Following the issuance of the regulation, the government plans to channel more than Rp 150 trillion (US$10.57 billion) into SOEs through several means, such as state capital injections (PMN), accelerated compensation payment and government investment guarantees. Several ailing state-owned enterprises (SOEs) are still in the dark over how to raise funds to finance their operations and pay debts despite trillions of rupiah worth of government guarantees.State-owned flag carrier Garuda Indonesia president director Irfan Setiaputra said the company was in talks with the Finance Ministry on how it would raise the funds needed to keep its business afloat.“The use of the funds is also still being discussed, but it’s supposed to be used as our working capital,” he told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday. The investment guarantee will be channeled especially to five companies, namely Garuda, train operator PT Kerata Api Indonesia (KAI), housing firm PT Perumnas, Krakatau Steel and agriculture holding PT Perkebunan Nusantara (PTPN), as some of them had been struggling to handle the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on their businesses.Garuda will receive the biggest amount at Rp 8.5 trillion, while the other four SOEs will receive guarantees of amounts ranging from Rp 650 billion to Rp 4 trillion.On Wednesday, however, Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati stopped short of specifying the guarantees for Garuda and Krakatau Steel when she announced the new figure of the country’s COVID-19 stimulus budget, which has reached Rp 677.2 trillion from the initial Rp 641.17 trillion.Read also: BI, government to share debt burden to finance business rescue program“There are two SOEs, which Pak [SOE Minister] Erick Thohir will elaborate on, namely Garuda and Krakatau Steel, which will be given investment guarantees. The SOE minister will decide on the best scheme to support the two companies,” she said during a teleconference after a limited Cabinet meeting.Erick, however, was not among the high-ranking officials making statements in the briefing.Arya Sinulingga, an aide to Erick, said on Tuesday that the government would not inject money directly into the five SOEs but rather only provide guarantees for their loans.“This investment will not come from the state budget. The government merely provides a guarantee for Garuda and the other SOEs and they will seek external funding themselves [using the guarantee],” he said during an online press briefing.He said the raised funds could be in the form of bank loans or other means of fundraising, and that the companies would be responsible to pay the loans themselves.Garuda Indonesia is asking for a three-year extension on $500 million worth of global sukuk due on June 3 and going to ask for approval from bondholders for the extension during their meeting on June 10.Krakatau Steel, meanwhile, has been struggling to pay its debts even long before the outbreak hit the economy. Earlier this year, the company received the green light from its creditors, mainly local banks like state-owned Bank Mandiri and Bank Negara Indonesia, to restructure its loans totaling $2 billion in a bid to avoid bankruptcy.Read also: Krakatau Steel books first profit in eight yearsFinance Ministry State Assets Director General Isa Rachmatarwata said on May 20 that the investment would be channeled through the ministry’s special missions vehicle (SMV), as every SOE had different problems.Institute for Development of Economics and Finance (Indef) researcher Abra Talattov said on Wednesday that the SOEs receiving the government investment should work to raise their own funds, whether through bond issuance or bank loans.“Some of these SOEs have been having debt problems before the COVID-19 pandemic, so investors are likely to be more careful in investing in them due to their high-risk nature,” he told The Jakarta Post over the phone.Topics :
3/95 Charlotte Street Wynnum. Picture: realestate.com.auFor $377,000 you can secure a two-bedroom apartment at 3/95 Charlotte St, which is listed through Matthew Griffin, of Sparrow Real Estate.The unit is at the front of a complex of six units and is within walking distance of shops, cafes and public transport. 3/95 Charlotte Street Wynnum. Picture: realestate.com.auIt has American oak floorboards, a large kitchen with pantry and electric oven, and an open-plan living area which flows out to a balcony. Inside 88 Walnut St, Wynnum At the high end of the current market, a seven-bedroom property at 88 Walnut St, Wynnum, is seeking offers of more than $1.575 million. Listed through Margaret Vote, of Raine & Horne – Wynnum/Manly, the property has seven bathrooms.With two-street access, it is on 1033sq m of land and has bay views across to St Helena. Features include a swimming pool with a waterfall and Bali hut.There are also extensive verandas and decks, patios off bedrooms and living areas, VJ walls, timber fretwork, french doors and high ceilings. 95 Tamaree Ave, Wynnum. Picture: realestate.com.auOffering views over Wynnum Golf Club’s fairways, the house has high ceilings and living spaces spread across two levels.Entrance is through a formal foyer and there is an alfresco entertaining deck on the upper level, which overlooks the golf club’s fairways and fourth hole.However, if those two homes are a little out of your price range, it doesn’t mean you are priced out of Wynnum. 95 Tamaree Ave, Wynnum. Picture: realestate.com.auMore from newsLand grab sees 12 Sandstone Lakes homesites sell in a week21 Jun 2020Tropical haven walking distance from the surf9 Oct 2019At a slightly more middle-of-the-market price point, a home at 95 Tamaree Ave, Wynnum, is listed for offers of more than $780,000. The four-bedroom property is being marked by RE/MAX Advantage – Manly’s Trish Breen. 88 Walnut St, Wynnum It’s hard to beat living on the bayside, with its water-cooled breezes and, for those who are lucky enough, water views. The median house price at Wynnum is now $581,000, but there are plenty of luxury homes which have sold for well above that.
President of the National Youth Council, Ms. Fenella Wenham.The newly elected President of the National Youth Council of Dominica (NYC), Ms. Fenella Wenham has said that emphasis will be placed on revitalizing the district youth councils during her two-year tenure.Ms Wenham made history when she was elected as the first female to head the council, at their General Assembly Meeting last week.She said one of her goals is to rally the young people of Dominica, to chart the way forward.“During the two years, we wish to strengthen our district councils because they are the engines of the National Youth Council. That is our strong base, that’s our community people who would actually come to the General Assembly to have the new executive elected, so its important to have those up and running”, said Wenham.Miss Wenham says the National Youth Council is also concerned with the level of violence in our schools.She said that as a teacher she is aware of the incidents that occur at schools from time to time and the NYC will be partnering with the schools to address this pressing issue.Another main area of concern for the NYC President is the issue of unemployment among the youth.Miss Wenham said, “entrepreneurship is high on the agenda and unemployment as well. We will also address issues relating to HIV/AIDS – the advocacy; bringing out the message”.Her encouragement for the youth is to remain positive in everything that they do.She has issued a call for the youth to rally with the NYC in addressing the many issues facing them as they work together for a brighter future.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews Newly elected NYC President to tackle youth unemployment and violence in Schools by: – July 22, 2011 Share Share 24 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Tweet Share
Loading… The Georgian Football Federation revealed on Wednesday it was taking the measure in accordance with its “high priority” for players’ and supporters’ health. Even at this, the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner is not discouraged from staying match-fit despite not knowing when next he will take to the field. Read Also:Georgian club, Dinamo Batumi unveil Godfrey Oboabona “Business for me as usual. To my dear friends and family, do stay safe. Let’s endeavour to stay healthy to live and also to enjoy the game of football when it resumes,” Oboabona tweeted. The Dinamo Batumi defender is training hard to stay fit despite the pandemic which has put a pause to footballing activities in major leagues across the globe. Matches in Georgia’s national football leagues have been suspended until April as a measure against the spread of Covid-19.Advertisement Nigeria international, Godfrey Oboabona, seems not to be worried about the coronavirus. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentDid You Know There’s A Black Hole In The Milky Way?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?What Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?8 Things To Expect If An Asteroid Hits Our Planet7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too MuchThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThailand’s 10 Most Iconic LandmarksThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More
From left, Lt. Paul Adams, Cindy Winzenread, Taylor Winzenread and Cpt. Anthony ScottVersailles, Ind.— More than 75 police officers, residents and Indiana State Police superintendent, Douglas Carter paid tribute to fallen officers at the Versailles post Wednesday. Due to weather conditions the huddled into the training room for the ceremony.Cindy Winzenread offered opening statements with her daughter, Taylor, now 20 at her side. Taylor was about 1-month-old when her father was killed along I-74 while assisting a motorist.Following her remarks, Cpt. Anthony Scott and Lt. Paul Adams read the name of each Indiana State trooper killed in the line of duty along with a brief description of hFrom left, Lt. Paul Adams and Cpt. Anthony Scottow the fatality occurred. The list included the names of five troopers killed while serving in the Versailles District. The ceremony included a 21-gun salute, done just outside the packed room and a trooper playing “Taps.”The ceremony ended with a pitch-in lunch and time to socialize.
Lampard is keen to improve his defence and has targeted West Ham’s Declan Rice, who would be interested in returning to Stamford Bridge, and Atlético Madrid’s José Giménez. Antonio Rüdiger and Andreas Christensen are far more at risk of being sold than Tomori. Chelsea, who play the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie against Bayern Munich on Saturday, are close to losing Willian on a free. read also:Transfer Market: Different strokes for Abraham, Tomori The Brazilian is set to join Arsenal on a three-year deal with the option for an additional year. He appears to have played his last game for the club after not travelling to Munich because of an achilles injury. Tomori signed a new deal with Chelsea only in December to 2024. The defender played 15 Premier League games this season, while West Ham United are also interested. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 French side, Rennes, are desperately making frantic quest to secure the services of Nigeria-born Chelsea defender, Fikayo Tomori. According to L’Equipe, Rennes, which have qualified for next season’s Champions League, wish to strengthen their defence with a move for Tomori. Indeed, Rennes have already opened talks with Chelsea for the youngster – and the deal could be in the form of a permanent transfer. Tomori, who rose through Chelsea’s academy, enjoyed a promising campaign after breaking into Frank Lampard’s side. He made 22 appearances and earned a new five-year deal after impressing with his calm on and off the ball. He also made his England debut against Kosovo in November. However Tomori, who spent the 2018-19 season on loan at Derby, found life harder after the turn of the year. He lost his place and has not played since 29 February after suffering a muscle injury shortly before the Premier League season resumed in June. It is unlikely Chelsea would countenance parting with Tomori on a permanent basis, even though Lampard has been told that he needs to sell one of his four senior centre-backs before buying one.Advertisement Promoted ContentPortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D GraffitiCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldDid You Know There’s A Black Hole In The Milky Way?A Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayTop 10 Disney Male Role ModelsWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?The World’s Most Desirable Fruit – Pink PineappleWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms? Loading…
Arsenal’s club-record signing Mesut Ozil looks “tired” as he struggles to deliver consistency, according to shareholder Alisher Usmanov. Ozil produced another below-par display in the 2-0 Champions League defeat by Bayern Munich on Wednesday night at the Emirates Stadium, where his early penalty miss proved crucial Usmanov’s Red & White Holdings group own just over 30 percent of the Barclays Premier League club, but are yet to be represented on the board along with majority shareholder Stan Kroenke. Usbek metals magnate Usmanov, 60, has long championed the type of stellar signing which manager Arsene Wenger was finally able to pull off when bringing Ozil in from Real Madrid for £42.5million on deadline day of the summer transfer window, but accepts the German playmaker may well need more time to adapt. “Ozil was not (playing) at his capacity, maybe because he is tired,” Usmanov told reporters as he left the director’s entrance at the Emirates Stadium, where he holds a private box. Ozil posted an apology on his Facebook account for the costly error as his chipped effort from the spot in the eighth minute was saved by Manuel Neuer. The Bundesliga giants went on to score twice in the second half after Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny was shown a red card for tripping Arjen Robben. Usmanov added: “We played against the best team in the world, but unfortunately we did not have the luck, (but) we did good play.” Press Association