Special teams roller coaster keeps OSU Miami on their toes

Bucks avert kickoff returns after 88-yard break away Tressel did what he does best after giving up an early touchdown; he played conservatively. Tressel brought in Barclay for the kick off and had him drop it at the 25-yard line, which he did consistently for the rest of the first half. “A kicker has to be able to do anything, and certainly enough we had to be ready for the pooch plays,” Barclay said. “For the most part we did well on the pooches.” Barclay opened the second half with a kick to the 10-yard line, which Miami returned to the 20, but quickly returned to conservative play for the rest of the game. Special teams proved to be an important aspect for both teams in Saturday’s matchup between No. 2 Ohio State and No. 13 Miami (Fla.). With an 88-yard kickoff return and a 79-yard punt return, the Hurricanes put 14 points on the board and embarrassment on the faces of the OSU coverage unit. “Are we concerned? Of course,” said coach Jim Tressel of the special teams performance. In fact, in OSU’s records, which date back to 1936, Saturday’s game marked the first time the Buckeye’s had ever given up a kick off return and punt return for touchdown. But that wasn’t enough to spur Miami to victory; OSU came out on top 36-24. “You don’t give up two long returns like that and usually survive,” Tressel said. “Our guys stepped up and overcame that.” The Buckeyes’ special teams unit came through as well, with both Jordan Hall and Jaamal Berry having long returns. Hall had a 47-yard return, while Berry had two long runs of 42 and 45 yards. “When we were in the huddle we were like ‘Man, they just broke one, now we’ve got to break one,’” Berry said. “We just made it happen.” Nathan Williams returns to play with a bang Defensive end Nathan Williams missed the season-opener against Marshall last week due to a knee-injury, but after coming into the game halfway through the first quarter, he already had an interception to add to his rap sheet. “It felt great, I was just anxious to get out there again,” Williams said. “Sitting out for three weeks was brutal.” Williams, a junior, grabbed Jacory Harris’ pass and returned a few yards to the Miami seven-yard line, setting up a scoring drive that ended with a field goal by Devin Barclay. “I just wanted to execute the plays and do what the defensive game plan wanted me to do,” he said. Interceptions key in takedown of Miami The Buckeye defense snatched four interceptions against Miami’s Harris, all of which led to scoring drives. After Williams’ grab in the first quarter, cornerback Chimdi Chekwa got two of his own in the second quarter, setting up a touchdown and then a field goal for the last play of the first half, putting the score at 26-17 Buckeyes. “We knew coming into the game that we were going to have to affect (Harris) to win this game,” said senior captain Ross Homan. “I think we did a good job with the D-line … we forced them into some bad situations.” Quarterback Terrelle Pryor and his receiving corps allowed for no interceptions against the Buckeyes. “When you can create four takeaways you’re going to have a chance,” Tressel said. “And when you have zero giveaways, you’re going to have a real good chance.” Early in the third quarter, senior captain offensive lineman Cameron Heyward took his stab at the Hurricanes returning an interception 80 yards to the Miami 15, setting up for a Dan “Boom” Herron touchdown. “I thought I had a chance, but you never know,” Heyward said of his reaction to seeing an open field in front of him. “I had some great blocks. I was just happy that I was in the right spot at the right time.” Ground game goes unnoticed Few of OSU’s big gains came on the run against Miami. Senior Brandon Saine had a net gain of only seven yards, while Herron had 66 yards over 14 carries. Both were out-run by quarterback Terrelle Pryor who had a total of 113 rushing yards. “They were definitely keeping a lot of guys in the box,” Herron said. “So it was kind of hard for us to get our running game going at first.” Barclay ties school record with five field goals Failure to convert in the red zone gave Barclay plenty of opportunity to put points on the board, going 5-for-5 in field goals until early in the fourth quarter when he missed a 32-yard attempt. His five field goals tie an Ohio State record with Mike Nugent, Josh Huston and Bob Atha. “It’s certainly something to be proud of,” Barclay said. “But if we would have lost, (tying) a school record wouldn’t have meant anything to me.” Barclay’s longest field goal against Miami was 41 yards. read more

Ohio State mens tennis looking to ace another season in 2014

Then-redshirt-sophomore Hunter Callahan bats a ball away during a match against Minnesota April 7 at the Varsity Tennis Center. OSU won, 7-0.Credit: Caitlin Essig / Managing editor for contentEven though classes were just canceled because of cold weather, things are starting to heat up at the Varsity Tennis Center as the Ohio State men’s tennis team looks to begin another championship season.Despite losing five players, including 2013 NCAA Singles Champion Blaz Rola, the Buckeyes find themselves ranked No. 5 to start the season in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll. There might be lofty expectations for a young team looking to continue a historic run of success, but coach Ty Tucker said fans shouldn’t be surprised if the talent overcomes the inexperience.“We have some work to do,” Tucker said. “We definitely have the chips, but we just have to figure out the best way to use them.”When asked who could fill the open spots from last year’s team, Tucker first pointed to true freshman Herkko Pollanen and redshirt-freshman Ralf Steinbach, along with redshirt-juniors Kevin Metka and Hunter Callahan. Pollanen, who came to Columbus by way of Helsinki, Finland, reached No. 16 in the junior rankings before making his way to campus.Perhaps Tucker’s most valuable chip, though, is senior Peter Kobelt.After flipping between No. 1 and No. 2 singles with Rola last year, Kobelt looks to have that spot all to himself in 2014. He has momentum heading into the season from helping the U.S. capture the gold medal at the Master’U BNP Paribas international collegiate team competition in Aix-en-Provence, France.“It was a great opportunity to play in a high quality tournament against the best all over the world.” Kobelt said. “We played high quality tennis for four days, represented the USA and won.”The team’s high ranking should be put to the test all season as there are seven teams ranked inside the top 30 on OSU’s schedule.“At Ohio State, we try our best to play the greatest and best in the country,” Tucker said.Even with a treacherous schedule and four of the starting six being first-time starters, the goal for the team remains the same.“The goal is to win the Big Ten title,” Tucker said.Considering the team has won seven titles in eight years, anything less could be viewed as a letdown, Kobelt said.“Our goal is to always win the Big Ten. The Big Ten is ours,” Kobelt said, “I don’t want to lose it in my last year.”The Buckeyes begin play Jan. 22 against Butler and Xavier in Columbus. read more

Giroud wants to score against Lloris

first_imgOlivier Giroud and Hugo Lloris have been playing together this week for the France national team but the striker will try to score against the keeper in the upcoming game between Chelsea and Tottenham.The Frenchman is still waiting for his first league goal for the Blues since he arrived from Arsenal back in winter – and he hopes that he will break the deadlock in the upcoming derby match against the Spurs.The former Montpellier player spoke about his goal for the upcoming game as he said, according to Daily Mail:Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“I have been trying very hard to do my best for the team at Chelsea, and I feel I have been a bit unlucky in the past few weeks not to have scored already.”“Hopefully I will score my first one against Tottenham and Hugo, and that will help us win a very, very important game.”“The Spurs game is massive and though Hugo is my colleague for France I would give him a smile if I scored in that one as we really need to win it.”last_img read more

Sarri Its time for Hazards future to be decided

first_imgChelsea boss Maurizio Sarri wants a solution on Eden Hazard’s future now, amid the constant speculation linking him with a switch to Real MadridThe Belgian winger is yet to commit his long-term future at Stamford Bridge with his contract set to expire in June 2020.This has prompted reports of a transfer to Real with Hazard doing little to deny the rumours by claiming it would be a dream for him in October.On Wednesday, the 27-year-old announced he intends to just stay focused on his football after scoring both goals in Chelsea’s 2-1 win at Watford.But Sarri believes now is the time for answers on Hazard’s Chelsea future.“I don’t know but it’s time to decide,” said Sarri on the club website, when asked if Hazard will stay at the club.“I am the coach. I am not the president, I am not in charge of the market, I am the coach. I want to speak to him only about the position on the pitch.Sacchi explains Sarri, Conte, and Ancelotti Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Arrigo Sacchi talked about how Sarri has a tougher time at Juventus than Conte at Inter; while Ancelotti’s “blood is boiling” at Napoli.Arrigo Sacchi…“I think we have to solve the problem.”The Blues will take a trip to Selhurst Park this Sunday to take on Crystal Palace in the Premier League.And Sarri is expecting a stern challenge from the Eagles, who defeated Manchester City 3-2 last week.“It’s a very difficult match because in the last three matches at home they were able to not concede a goal to the opponent, then they are very dangerous on the counter-attack,” said the Italian.“We have to play against a very dangerous team, especially with it being away.”Pedro will be unavailable for the league match against Palace on Sunday, which begins at 13:00 (CET).last_img read more

Latest on convention center expansion after initiative rejected by city council

first_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — The San Diego City Council Thursday rejected an initiative for the November ballot that would have raised the hotel tax to fund convention center expansion, homelessness services and street repairs.A nearly identical citizens’ initiative appeared headed to voters until Wednesday, when the city clerk’s office reported that a random sampling of the campaign’s more than 114,000 signatures fell short of the required threshold to place the issue on the ballot. A signature-by-signature count will begin but likely won’t finish nearly in time for the Friday ballot deadline.Mayor Kevin Faulconer, who had supported the Yes! for a Better San Diego citizens’ proposal, pivoted Wednesday upon hearing of the failed signature-gathering effort and asked the council to consider approving for the ballot his own similar initiative during its Thursday meeting.Laura Fink, of the Yes! for a Better San Diego campaign, released a statement Thursday afternoon.“Our citizens’ coalition is disappointed that our initiative was not able to qualify for the November 2018 ballot,” Fink said. “We remain optimistic that our measure will qualify for a future ballot, and the will of the 114,000 San Diegans who signed our petition will be heard.“We are proud of the work of our bi-partisan coalition of business and labor, homeless advocates and community leaders to alleviate homelessness, create jobs and repair our neighborhood streets,” Fink said. “We remain committed to these issues that are so critical to San Diego’s future.”The council didn’t actually vote on the initiative Thursday. Before that would have happened, they voted 4-4 on waiving the policy by which the council approves measures for the ballot, which was required to move the proposal forward on such short notice.Councilmembers Barbara Bry, David Alvarez, Georgette Gomez and Myrtle Cole voted against waiving the policy while councilmembers Mark Kersey, Lorie Zapf, Chris Cate and Scott Sherman voted in favor. Councilman Chris Ward wasn’t present for the vote.Cole, the council president, said she voted no “given there has not been time for public review and input.”Approving the initiative likely would have raised its required success threshold from a simple majority to two-thirds voter approval.The proposed initiative would have raised the city’s 12.5 percent hotel tax to 13.75 to 15.75 percent depending on the location of each hotel.The 42-year tax increase was expected to generate $5.9 billion. Latest on convention center expansion after initiative rejected by city council Updated: 10:58 PM Dan Plante, KUSI Newsroom Dan Plante, KUSI Newsroom, center_img August 10, 2018 Posted: August 10, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Kevin Faulconer, San Diego Convention Center FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Lorena Gonzalez coauthors bill to tighten medical exemptions for vaccines

first_img KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Health, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter March 26, 2019 Posted: March 26, 2019 KUSI Newsroom SAN DIEGO (CNS) – Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, co- introduced legislation today to combat falsified medical exemptions that allow children to avoid vaccinations against illnesses like measles.According to Gonzalez and Sen. Richard Pan, a pediatrician, medical exemptions have spiked since the 2015 passage of SB 277, which outlawed the use of personal belief exemptions to allow children to avoid vaccines. While immunization rates in California have gone up since SB 277’s passage, medical exemptions have more tripled according to Pan, who co-authored SB 277 with Sen.Ben Allen, D-Santa Monica.“Some schools are reporting that more than 20 percent of their students have a medical exemption,” Pan said. “It is clear that a small number of physicians are monetizing their exemption-granting authority and profiting from the sale of medical exemptions.”SB 276 would require physicians to submit medical exemption requests to the state’s Department of Public Health, which would then certify that the patient is allowed to forego vaccination. State public health officials would review factors like the reasoning for the exemption request and the physician’s name and license number.Officials would also require that the physician confirm that he or she has examined the patient. State officials would have the authority to revoke exemptions if they are fraudulently issued.“Three years ago, we stepped up our state’s vaccination laws to protect students and the entire public from being exposed to potential diseases,” Gonzalez said. “Now, we’re seeing anti-vaccination parents and a few doctors get around that law by loosely seeking and issuing medical exemptions when families are willing to pay.”State vaccination rates have increased as legislators have cracked down on vaccine avoidance. California’s vaccination rate has risen from 90.7 percent of state residents during the 2010-2011 academic year to 95.6 percent during the 2016-2017 academic year.According to Pan, a 94 percent vaccination rate is required to achieve so-called herd immunity, which prevents the spread of preventable illnesses to people like infants and chemotherapy patients who can’t be vaccinated. The bill is co-sponsored by the California Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics California and the vaccine advocacy group Vaccinate California.“It is the rare physician who does not take this responsibility to heart, but they put all of us, our children and our communities, at risk,” said Kris Calvin, CEO of the AAP-CA. “By ensuring medical exemptions to vaccines are reviewed and valid, this bill will protect the health of California’s children and of our larger communities. It is a reasonable and urgently needed measure.” Lorena Gonzalez co-authors bill to tighten medical exemptions for vaccineslast_img read more